This position has been filled.
Ofc. of Environmental Health
Type of Position:
Regular Full Time
Absentee Shawnee Tribe / 2025 S. Gordon Cooper Dr. / Shawnee, OK 74801
OFFICE OF ENVIRONMENTAL & ENGINEERING (OEH&E)
The Water Quality Program Specialist is primarily responsible for the day-to-day activities administered under the EPA (106) Water Pollution Control Program, to include all technical requirements contained within the Quality Assurance Project Plan(s) (QAPP’s) specific to this program. The Water Quality Specialist must have a strong background in math, science and computer technology. The Specialist carries out accepted sampling protocol standards and will be required to perform other duties within multiple projects relating to the environment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Responsible for seasonal sample collection following the protocols identified in the Quality Assurance Project Plan(s) (QAPP’s) for the on-going environmental surveillance program at the Absentee Shawnee Tribe.
· Responsible for quarterly/annual water sample collections
· Must have Experience with various types of water monitoring equipment.
· Coordinates and assists management with decision making and scheduling of sampling events.
· Prepare quarterly and annual program reports.
· Carry out daily technical support within the water quality program.
· Will assist with preparing program grant applications including technical workplans.
· Preform and Oversee sample collection to ensure proper sampling methods and equipment are used, and that quality assurance and control protocols are met.
· Duties require water quality sampling within lakes, rivers and streams
· Responsible for equipment maintenance and calibration and submitting water samples to contract laboratories for analysis. Additionally, the Specialist is responsible for weekly reporting, and monthly progress reports with an emphasis on data management.
· Must be familiar with and is accountable for compliance with federal regulations and statutes such as the Clean Water Act (CWA) and Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA).
· Assist with developing an environmental educational outreach program, providing pertinent information on environmental issues concerning the community.
· Experience federal grant requirements.
· Perform other duties as assigned or required by the Director.
· A Bachelor of Science in Environmental Science or a related Science field is preferred.
· Must have ODEQ Class “D” water license or receive within 6 months
· Experience in environmental sampling techniques and quality assurance and control (QA/QC) procedures.
· Must be able to apply basic science and mathematical principles to the understanding of the physical and chemical properties associated with source pollutants in the environment.
· Must have the ability to use computer technology and various software programs, especially MS Windows, Word, Excel, Access, and Internet and e-mail programs.
· Prefer applicant to have Geographical Information System (GIS) knowledge and experience or familiarity with maps, and field surveying using traditional and GPS technology.
· Ability to interact effectively with staff members from government entities such as EPA, BIA, USDA, Tribal and others.
· Must have effective oral and written communication skills.
· A working knowledge of applicable federal laws (i.e. Clean Water Act) and other regulations as they are applied to environmental management is required.
· Applicants must have the ability to independently assess and evaluate program needs, coordinate and implement strategies, and apply this knowledge toward program development.
· The ability to perform sampling in all types of weather conditions, including the ability to lift 50 pounds.
· A valid Oklahoma Drivers License is required.
· In-state and out-of-state travel is required.
5 months 1 week ago